Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection
Installing and maintaining anti-virus software to detect and delete malicious code on your computer is essential in today’s digital landscape. Cybercriminals use malware attacks (viruses, keyloggers, and Trojan horses) to attempt to destroy your data, record your keyboard strokes to steal passwords, redirect links to fake sites, and even intercept transaction information and manipulate it to redirect funds in the background.
To ensure the anti-virus software you select is providing the best possible protection:
- Keep your anti-virus software up to date to guard against the latest viruses. Most anti-virus software includes a convenient feature that runs updates automatically when you are online.
- Make sure your anti-virus software is continually checking your system for viruses, especially if you are downloading files from the Web or checking your e-mail.
- Set your anti-virus software to check for viruses when you first turn on your computer, and regularly give your system a thorough scan.
Spyware can monitor your online activities and collect personal information. Some kinds of spyware, called keyloggers, record everything you type in, including your passwords and financial information. Protect yourself by using spyware protection, which is included in some anti-virus software programs or can be acquired separately.
- Keep your anti-spyware software updated and run it regularly.
- Download software only from sites you know and trust. Spyware is often disguised as free anti-virus or anti-spyware protection.
- Don't click on links in pop-up windows that open automatically or are from unfamiliar websites. Adhere to safe web surfing practices and learn to recognize suspicious emails.
Online Banking Security Software
Anti-spyware and anti-virus software plays a major role in defending your computer from malicious software however it isn’t perfect. Due to this, Bangor Savings Bank provides Rapport's online security protection for free to all its customers. Once installed, the Rapport software verifies that you’ve arrived at an official Bangor Savings Bank online banking site and then secures the internet connection between your computer and the website.
Additional Resources on Safeguarding Your Computer: